PCOS and hair growth
PCOS is probably the most common disorder amongst women of reproductive age that contributes to excess hair growth. If you have a sudden increase in hair growth on your face or body accompanied by other issues such as an irregular menstrual cycle or sudden gain in weight, then it is recommended you see your doctor for an assessment.
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is a complex hormonal condition. ‘Polycystic’ literally translates as ‘many cysts’. This refers to the many partially formed follicles or on the ovaries, which each contain an egg.
Common signs and symptoms of PCOS
Periods and fertility
● No periods, or periods that are:
● Multiple ‘cysts’ on the ovaries
● Difficulty becoming pregnant
● Some health challenges during pregnancy
Hair, Skin and Body
● Excess facial and/or body hair (hirsutism)
● Scalp hair loss (alopecia)
● Acne on the face and/or body (can be severe)
● Weight gain